A title tag is an important HTML element that is creates the title of a web page. It is displayed in search engine results as part of the web page’s clickable headline. As such, you will see the title tag underlined in blue hyperlink.
What is the importance of a title tag? A title tag is intended to be an accurate desciption of a web page’s content. It lets the user know what they’ll be seeing should they click on the link. To a search engine, the title tag is equally important as it will help to determine how relevant the web page is to a search query. In other words, title tags are an important part of search engine optimization and ranking.
How can you improve the effectiveness of your title tag?
- Consider length: a title tag that is too long, is more likely to be cut off in the search engine. If you can keep your title tag between 50-60 characters, it is more likely to remain entact.
- Implement keywords: a title tag is an important part of search engine optimization (SEO), so including keywords will help your web page rank. Just remember not to keyword stuff. Use only the most relevant keywords.
- Get creative: Boring tag titles won’t attract visitors to your web page even if it does rank high. Don’t title a page “home,” “about me,” or “blog.” Creative titles that tell a user what they will see if they click on the link, have a higher click-through rate.
- Implement action words: users have a goal when they type something into a search engine. They want to learn something or purchase something typically. Action words in your title tag can attract visitors. Try words such as “learn,” “take,” “get,” act now,” and “boost.”
- Include your brand name: including your brand name is a can improve ranking in the search engine results page. If you are selling something, instead of just writing “quality running shoes,” write “quality My Brand running shoes.”
What should be avoided when creating a title tag? Avoid words such as “unique,” “miracle.” or “revolutionary.” These words do not typically attract users who are searching for a product, service, or information. What you are offering will speak for itself, so use the title tag to be genuine instead of overpromising things to get people to click on the link. Also avoid creating duplicate title tags. Each title tag should be unique to the web page.
Don’t rush the process of creating title tags. While it may seem like a small task, it can greatly impact search engine optimization and the ranking of your web pages. Consider it as important as the content on your website and keywords that you choose for ranking purposes. Have fun and get creative. It’s possible to create title tags that are eye-catching and honest, which will increase click-throughs, conversions, and revenues.